Thursday, January 10, 2013

Integrity, Relationships and Our Customer

This is the foundation for all business. Prosper here and you will succeed.

I want to tell you a story. This took place over twenty two years ago, back when I had hair. It is a conversation I had with a colleague. I honestly do not remember his name, but his words have stuck with me all these years and serve as the foundation for how important relationships in business are. Though I have to confess I have stumbled and fallen many times along the way in this area.

He told me a about a prospective customer that had called wanting a quote on a couple of capnography units. At the time this product was experiencing some major problems. He disclosed the problems we were currently experiencing and then referred the customer to the vendor that was "best in class" for that product. He told me the customer was somewhat stunned by his actions (go figure ;-}).

My colleague then told me, "Eric I have been the sales person of the quarter for five quarters in the past two years. My management always asks me to share my secret and I try to tell them but I do not think they understand. In fact, if they knew what I did with that customer I might very well have been fired".

Two months later he told me the same prospective customer called him and said he wanted him to write up a purchase order for twelve of our portable EKG monitors (We were best in class at the time in that product area). The salesman told the prospective customer he would send him a quote. The customer replied "I do not think you heard me, I want a purchase order, not a quote."

This is a true story, one I have never forgotten, though I have long forgotten the salesman's name.

The message of the story to me is very clear. Integrity, honesty and building relationships with our customers are what matters most in business and in life. I am not talking about some rah-rah statement that every company has. I am talking about walking the talk.

It does not matter where you are in the organization, we all have customers we serve. I would like to expand for you the definition of customer. My manager is my customer. The analyst I take the time to answer a question for is my customer. If you are a developer that lives behind what I like to call the "wizard of oz" curtain your customer is the designer asking for a function point that will help the customer that is paying all of our salaries by buying our products and services.

A customer is anyone we serve in any capacity. Remember and practice this and your life will be rich and meaningful because you will have built many quality relationships. Remember this as a business and while I cannot guarantee your success I can guarantee the health and wealth of your soul.

Think about how you have served your customers. How would you write about this in your LinkedIn profile? What would your customers say about you if you asked them for validation?

For many of us these can be sobering questions I just asked. But hard questions help us all to grow and try to do a better job tomorrow.

Also, remember, if you never fall down then you are not skiing hard enough.

Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are a spammer do the web planet a public service and go away. I have to review your post and approve it and it is not going to happen.

Whether you agree or disagree (i do not mind at all people that disagree as it offers a different point of view on the spectrum of the topic at hand) discourse is a good thing indeed.