Sunday, February 5, 2017

Advise and Consent - Supreme Court Justices

When Justice Scalia died the Senate majority leader, Mitch McConnell, refused to put the Presidents pick, Merrick Garland up for a vote before the Senate. The President had 11 months on this term. This type of action is inappropriate irrespective of political party.

I believe the 60 vote threshold for Supreme Court justice confirmation is a good threshold. There is a a case to be made from Article 2, Section 2 (paragraph 2) of the US Constitution that the actual threshold should be 67 votes.

Merrick Garland was a moderate pick. But it really does not matter whether he was a moderate, liberal, or conservative. What matters is that the Senate majority leader would not even put him to the floor for a vote.

Let me first say that while I have had some issues with some of Gorsuch's decisions that he is more than qualified to be confirmed by the Senate. Having said that what the Senate majority leader did was an assault and affront to our political process and Democracy. As such I have called both of my state Senators and told them point blank that if they vote for his confirmation they will lose my vote.

I can see if you are a died in wool Republican how you might think what McConnell did was okay. If a Democrat had done this I could see how a died in wool Democrat might think this is okay. I am neither. I am a fiscally conservative independent that believes in our Constitution and in the rule of law. Unless Merrick Garland is first put up for a vote I do not care who the nominee is. The vote should be no.

If you believe what I believe then you two should call your Senators and tell them the same. If the Republicans decide to lower the threshold to a simple majority (what everyone is calling the nuclear option) then so be it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are a spammer do the web planet a public service and go away. I have to review your post and approve it and it is not going to happen.

Whether you agree or disagree (i do not mind at all people that disagree as it offers a different point of view on the spectrum of the topic at hand) discourse is a good thing indeed.